« Refrigerator | Main | Sales »

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Smart appliances at risk to hackers

The first real case where hackers have used home appliances has occurred, and it was really, really easy.

Hackers gained access into more than 100,000 home computers, smart televisions, and at least one refrigerator.

These devices were then used to send malicious emails to businesses in bursts of 100,000.

How did they gain access so easily?

Poor password choices, and more often, letting the default password remain.

Read more: http://ift.tt/1hFu5fJ

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 9:22 AM
Categories: Computer, Refrigerator, Safety, Television, Televisions

Monday, November 25, 2013

Why you should avoid cooking with Teflon cookware.

I found a very good article at 911 Service Today in Charleston, SC detailing why Teflon pans are a no no.

Especially at high heats, these pans can release toxic fumes that have been shown to cause flu-like symptoms in humans and even death in small pets like birds.

This is pretty scary stuff.

Read more here: http://www.911servicetoday.com/blog/2013/11/teflon-no-no-no

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 5:24 PM
Categories: Appliance, Cooking, Safety

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Viking issues fire hazard recall on some side by side refrigerators

This is a very small number of affected Viking refrigerators, but it’s worth checking to see if your model is affected.

If you have a 42 or 48 inch side by side Viking refrigerator with in-door ice and water dispensing, then check the link below to see if your model is under the safety recall.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Viking-Recalls-Built-In-Side-by-Side-Refrigerator-Freezers-with-In-Door-Dispensers/

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 3:39 PM
Categories: Refrigerator, Safety, Viking

Thursday, June 27, 2013

How to run away from a tornado

Your mileage may vary, but one researcher has found that most tornados travel northeast or east.

How does this help?

If you’re on the road, and faced with a tornado, you may find your safest route by finding which direction the tornado is from you.

If you are in the predicted path of the tornado, you’d best correct your location.

Hopefully you’ll never be faced with this scenario, of course.

http://feedly.com/k/11Cnk96

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 3:22 PM
Categories: Miscellaneous, Safety

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Some Definity, EcoSmart, Sylvania and Westinghouse brand led lightbulbs being recalled

There is a safety recall due to burn hazard on some led lightbulbs sold under the Definity, EcoSmart, Sylvania and Westinghouse brand names.

From the consumer safety website:

“The 120-volt LED bulbs, sold as 6- 8- and 9-watt bulbs (equivalent to 40 or 50 watts), were marketed under the brand names Definity, EcoSmart, Sylvania and Westinghouse. The model numbers A19, G25 and R20/PAR20 are found on the packaging and on the light-colored circular neck above the base of the bulb where the date code is also printed. The date code reflects the week and year of manufacture; for example date code L4010 was produced during the 40th week of 2010. The date codes listed below may have the letters “CH ” or “MX ” at the end. For example, date code L4010 can also appear as L4010CH or L4010MX. The date codes are:

L4010
L4110
L4210
L4310
L4410
L4510
L4610
L4710
L4810
L4910
L5010
L5110
L5210
L0111
L0211
L0311
L0411
L0511
L0611
L0711
L0811
L0911
L1011
L1111”

See more here to prevent a potential fire hazard: http://1.usa.gov/ZHlkbN

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 6:39 PM
Categories: Miscellaneous, Safety

Friday, March 08, 2013

Safety recall on Pampered Chef's garlic slicer

If you bought a garlic slicer from Pampered Chef between January 2009 and July 2011 then you should stop using it immediately and go to this website to see if it is covered under a safety recall that involves blades dislodging during use.

http://1.usa.gov/W9Wx0M

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 6:58 AM
Categories: Safety

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Bose Recalls Dual-Voltage Cinemate II Home Theater Speaker System

If you own one of these Bose systems, please read more about this safety recall below.

These models of Bose audio Cinemate home theater speaker systems have had failures at voltages higher than U.S. norms, so they may only be a problem if you’re using them overseas. Either way, this is a safety recall due to fire hazard, so if you own one you should stop using it, unplug it, and contact Bose immediately.

Contact info:

Bose Corporation; toll-free (877) 354-1004, 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday ET in the U.S. or 001 (508) 614-1842, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday outside the U.S., or  www.bose.com/safety  for more information.

Read more:  http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Bose-Recalls-Dual-Voltage-CineMate-II-Home-Theater-Speaker-Systems-Due-to-Fire-Hazard/

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 6:29 PM
Categories: Audio, Electronics, Safety

Monday, February 04, 2013

LG Recalls Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Injury

You should top using this model washing machine if you have one of the following models, until you consult with the link listed below to find out if your LG Top-Loading Washing Machine is in the serial number range of the affected models.

Models included:

LG Models: WT5001CW, WT5101HW, WT5101HV

Kenmore Elite Models: 29002, 29272, 29278

Your model and serial can be found on the top back of your washing machine.

Click this link to find out if your model is affected, and what you should do to remedy the problem: http://1.usa.gov/WMB1vT

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 3:24 PM
Edited on: Monday, February 04, 2013 7:35 PM
Categories: Appliances, LG, Safety, Washer

Friday, April 20, 2012

Child safety: Be careful where you put a television.

It's been brought to our attention that each year, a number of children are injured or even die from improperly installed television sets. Of particular concern are situations where the older and heavier tube-style television is placed in the child's room when the family gets a larger television, and often installed on top of a dresser or something else not really designed to hold a TV.

Let's face it, kids get excited, and they could easily pull or push that TV in their efforts to get to the controls or to what they are perceiving on the screen.

It's not just the older TVs that can be dangerous. Larger flat-screen TVs that are improperly installed can be a danger as well.

It's just something to think about. We are in the business of fixing televisions, but we're also people with families who worry about the little ones. Just be careful out there.

Bookmark and Share
Service Care TV & Appliance Repair's Vice President, Toxey McDavid
Posted by Toxey McDavid at 10:49 AM
Categories: Miscellaneous, Safety, Televisions