Thursday, December 09, 2010
DIY Refrigerator Maintenance - Keep that fridge cooling
Four times a year, Service Care TV & Appliance Repair in Birmingham, Alabama publishes a reminder to do maintenance on your appliances and electronics items. Right now, the only people receiving these maintenance reminders are people who have "Liked" us on Facebook (see lower right). I thought it would be a good idea to post them here as well (in case you just stumble on in).
Please consult the user manuals for your products, and follow the directions for care & maintenance of your products. There is always a risk of electrical shock when operating or maintaining electronics and appliances, and you should contact a qualified service provider (like Service Care!) if you feel uncomfortable doing this work yourself.
- Dissolve 1 tsp baking soda in a quart of warm water. Use this with a soft rag to clean both door gaskets. This will keep seal soft and pliable for longer (and makes it look nice).
- After door gaskets are dry, close both doors on a dollar bill, and pull lightly. A good seal will grip the bill. Test in several spots.
- If there is a drip pan under refrigerator, pull it out and clean thoroughly. Put back in place under the refrigerator.
- Being careful not to scratch the floor, pull out your refrigerator and unplug it. Vacuum the wall and floor where the unit was.
- Remove the kickplate from the bottom-front of the refrigerator. Use wand attachment of vacuum to carefully remove most of the dust on the coils and underside of the refrigerator. (Some models may have coils on back of unit).
- Using a condenser coil brush to get the rest of the dust and dirt loose. Be gentle.
- Plug the unit back in, push back into place, vacuum the dust off the floor, put kickplate back onto bottom of refrigerator.
- Change the water filter twice yearly.
If you feel you do need television or appliance service in the Birmingham Metro Area please do not hesitate to contact Service Care by phone at 205-956-3777 or by email at email@example.com. You can also send us messages via our website at www.servicecare.net
Click the 'Like' button! Thanks!